Machinists perform various machining processes on a variety of machine tools, which may include set-ups. The machinist is responsible for the quality of their work and is, or will become experienced at inspection and with other quality assurance techniques.
Responsibilities may include (depending on level):
- Gathers documentation and verifies revision levels are current and match.
- Operates mills, lathes, and surface grinders.
- Pulls and prepares raw material. Cleans and deburrs material as needed to remove sharp edges and allow for placement in vises or fixtures.
- Operates drill presses, honing machines, hydraulic presses, etc. to perform secondary operations.
- Performs mechanical inspection to verify parts meet engineering specifications.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on machine shop tools.
- Performs light assembly as needed.
- Assists cell team members to ensure team goals are met.
- Performs CNC machine tool setups with assistance from CNC Journey Level Machinists.
- Performs minor editing of the CNC program and communicates changes to programmer.
- Initiates process improvements including fixture design, tooling upgrades; works with other support team members to follow through on implementation.
- Operates manual machine tools as necessary.
- Performs secondary operations as necessary to complete the process in its entirety.
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining problems.
- Operates a variety of machine tools including lathes, milling machines, grinders, hones, etc.
- Performs quality and measurement functions as related to the machining of components.
Entry level candidates must have the following:
- Strong shop math skills.
- Good understanding of measurements.
- Exposure to band saws, hones and drill presses. Exposure to mills and lathes a plus.
- Familiarity with hand tools
- Exposure to blueprints and written procedures.
Skilled candidates should have the following:
- The above knowledge and
- Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or 2-4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply for this position, please click here: Application for Machinist
At Climax, we believe our objectives can best be achieved by utilizing all of the human resources available to us, without discrimination based on characteristics unrelated to performance. We are committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action.